Edmonds Council will hold a public hearing on June 14 on interim design standards
In addition to meeting in committees on Tuesday, June 14, the Edmonds Municipal Council will hold a special meeting at 7 p.m. for an item on the agenda: Holding a public hearing to collect citizens’ comments on the standards design temporary multi-family buildings of the city area BD2.
The interim design standards – approved by council at a special meeting on April 21 – are intended to address council concerns over a proposed 24-unit building for the 600 block of Main Street, located in the BD2 area. According to city code, a public hearing must be held within 60 days of the adoption of the standards. The board must adopt the final standards within six months of adopting the interim standards. According to the council agenda, the standard process for updating the codes would require the Edmonds Planning Council to review the final proposed standards and make a recommendation to council.
The goal of the draft standards is to ensure that multi-family dwellings are compatible with the downtown core, with an emphasis on three requirements: building materials, private amenity space, and amenity space or a pedestrian area on the street side.
– Building facades should be clad with preferred building materials, including natural stone, wood, architectural metal, brick and glass. Concrete, laminates, veneers, fiber cement products and others may be permitted by the Director of Development Services or the city’s Architectural Design Board if they duplicate the appearance of the preferred materials.
– An outdoor area equivalent to at least 10% of the project’s gross lot area must be provided as private amenity space for residents of the development. This standard can be met by a combination of balconies (cantilevered, recessed or semi-recessed), terraces, patios or courtyards for individual dwellings or the site as a whole. Based on council concerns Tuesday night about security and privacy, roof terraces have been removed as an option for private amenity space.
– An outdoor area equivalent to at least 5% of the project’s gross land area must be provided as street-side or pedestrian amenity space.
– A certain modulation of the roof is necessary, with a preference for drops which follow the slope when such a slope exists.
Here are the items on the agenda of the three board committees meeting on April 14:
Public Safety, Personnel and Planning Committee, 4:30 p.m.
– Order to add human services to the PSPP committee
– Order amending ECC 5.27.210 regarding fines for fireworks
– Opioid Settlement Participation Form
– Missing interim grant application
– Employment contract – executive assistant to the municipal council
Finance Committee, 5:30 p.m.
– Monthly Financial Report April 2022
– State Auditor Office (SAO) 2022 audit output follow-up
Parks and Public Works Committee, 7:30 p.m.
– Expenditure request 2022 of the interlocal agreement City of Lynnwood/Meadowdale Park.
– Introduced additional agreements with KPG Psomas for design services and construction management for the city-wide crosswalk improvement project.
– Presentation of the complementary agreement with KPG Psomas for the improvement project of the intersection of 76th Avenue and 220th Avenue.
– Presentation of the right of entry and maintenance agreement between the City of Edmonds and the owner at 21000 Autoroute 99.
– Project update for the 76th Avenue West @ 220th Strees Southwest intersection improvement project.
– Presentation of the local agency’s consultant agreement with Transpo for the SR-104 adaptive system from 236th Street SW to 226th Street SW.
– Introducing a professional service contract for design services for Yost and Seaview tank repairs and upgrades.
– Select Homes 7918 203rd St. SW 10ft Right-of-Way Dedication
– Submission to update Edmonds City Code Chapter 3.36 to include impact fee waivers for early learning facilities
– CIP-CFP Public Works magazine.
To access meetings remotely via Zoom, click or paste the following Zoom meeting link into a web browser using a computer or smartphone:
https://zoom.us/j/95798484261. Or join us by phone: US: +1 253 215 8782 Webinar ID: 957 9848 4261.