Eastern Iowa girl, 10, died in house fire identified
An Onslow child who perished after heat and flames repelled emergency personnel trying to rescue her from an upstairs bedroom in her burning home was identified as Geniyah Morgan on Saturday.
The 10-year-old fifth grader, who died early Friday, was the sixth child among eight people who lost their lives during a week of deadly fires in Iowa.
A 2-year-old child died Monday in a fire at a Walcott mobile home, followed Wednesday by the deaths of four children in a fire that engulfed their Mason City home. Another fire Thursday in Cedar Rapids killed two adults.
Jones County Sheriff Greg Graver released Geniyah’s name and that of her mother, Brittany Qualls, 35, who managed to escape the blaze with four other children, ages 1 to 8.
The fire originated in the kitchen, according to Graver, who told the Des Moines Register on Friday that it had been “a terrible week in eastern Iowa for fatal fires.”
Morgan’s body was taken to the state medical examiner’s office in Ankeny.
After:‘A terrible week’: Another deadly fire confirmed in Iowa
Three of the other children and Qualls were treated at a hospital and released. A fourth was taken to the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics and was released Friday evening, the sheriff’s news release said.
In Mason City, a statement published Friday in the Globe Gazette from John and Angela Mcluer, the parents of the four children who died there, thanked the community and the school district, where the children had been educated, for their support. He said a memorial service will be held after John Mcluer is released from the hospital where he was taken with his daughter Ravan, the only other survivor of the fire, for treatment of burns.
Mason City’s death toll was the highest in a single fire in Iowa since May 2017, when four people died in a fire at an apartment building in Iowa, according to Iowa fire marshal records. Waveland neighborhood of Des Moines. With last week’s losses, at least 35 people died in fires in Iowa in 2022, compared to 29 in 2021, records show.
The winter vacation period is typically a time of heightened residential fire risk, according to the US Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Fire Data Center. In a report, he cited many reasons, including the use of radiators and fireplaces when the weather turns cold, faulty holiday lighting and kitchen accidents.