Commercial building fire in Sun Prairie caused by discarded rags


MADISON, Wisconsin (WMTV) – Sun Prairie Emergency Services responded to a fire started by rags thrown at a commercial building on Saturday in Sun Prairie.

Emergency services responded to the fire at approximately 9:30 a.m. on the 2000 Terra Ct Block in the Town of Sun Prairie.

The Sun Prairie Fire Department determined that the fire started from discarded rags covered in oil-based paints, stains and varnishes. Discarded rags were thrown near building materials and other flammable materials.

There were no occupants in the involved or adjacent buildings at the time of the fire, and emergency services personnel reported no injuries.

The building did not have a fire alarm and was not equipped with a sprinkler system.

Sun Prairie Fire said the fire was extinguished without spreading beyond the materials involved in the structure, but property damage is estimated at $ 15,000.

The Sun Prairie Fire and Rescue Company, Inc. reminds the public to properly dispose of rags used with paint and stain never leaving rags in a pile and keeping them away from buildings. Keep all flammable and combustible liquids away from open flames.

The National Fire Protection Association reports that about 900 home fires a year are started when oily rags catch fire.

Copyright 2021 WMTV. All rights reserved.


Comments are closed.